February 11, 2013

3 Ways the Grammys Tried Too Hard

Did you watch the Grammys last night? I think the show tried a little too hard to make itself cool. And I don't mean the LL Cool J kind of cool. Here's what I mean:

1. LL Cool J's constant reminders to the viewing audience that they should tweet. Apparently, last year's Grammys were the most tweeted event up until that point. And they wanted to do it again. But I don't think that reading the most mundane, least innovative tweets from the viewers was the way to encourage social media  Newsflash: you don't have to tell people to tweet. They tweet unprompted. 

2. Announcing the upcoming announcers before and during every commercial break. Did they really need to fill that time? Did they have to tell us who was about to be onstage to read poorly from a teleprompter for 30 seconds? A notable exception here is Ellen DeGeneres and Beyonce. Their presentation was spectacular

3. "Grammy moments." I'm not a music critic, so I won't claim to know whether the quality of the creatively matched (read mismatched) artists was a stroke of brilliance. What I do think is that hyping the "Grammy Moments" was only going to lead to underwhelming performances. Great and memorable moments are almost always unplanned.

No comments:

Post a Comment