June 10, 2013

Not a Review of the Tony Awards

I only watched part of the Tony Awards, which is one of the reasons why I don't plan to write about that television special in a Rabbit Ear Review. Another reason is that while I love musical theatre, I don't know nearly enough about the shows currently on Broadway to fairly assess last night's winners and losers. And maybe I just don't have the gumption to say how absurd I find it that Broadway shows are now just musicalized versions of movies.

Anyway, the best thing about last night's Tony Awards was the host - Neil Patrick Harris - as evidenced by this opening song and dance number:



Did you catch his "legendary" wink to How I Met Your Mother? I'm sure the CBS executives smiled on that one. I think the opening number, not to mention the whole night, proved that Harris himself is a bigger, far more talented star than HIMYM's recently one-dimensional Barney Stinson allows. But alas, that's a subject for another blog post. All this to say, most of all, last night's show got me excited for the Emmy Awards, which, gratefully, Harris will also be hosting. I'm hoping for an Emmy song and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment